Have you really ever thought about your name? Is it a family name? Has been handed down from generation to generation? Or is it something that your parents kindly gave you to be different?
As you can guess we have been thinking about names around here.
In fact Caleb wanted to have a Family Home Evening talking about our names and where they came from, how we thought them up and why we have them.
My name is one that my Mom fell in love with. she knew it was going to be Suzanne, but for a long time never knew how it was going to be spelled. I have a piece of paper that when you red through it the spelling of my names changes about four times. I laugh ever time I read it.
My middle name, Elizabeth, comes from Mom's side of the family.
Rob's whole name is a family name. It is funny actually he was named after a Great-Great Grand father( I don't remember how name greats) But this guy is the one they say started the family curse of being poor and not making very much. I keep telling His parents we are goin to be the ones that break the curse. Anyways it is a good story I may have to actaully post it sometime.
Caleb loves his name. His comes from the Scriptures, the Old testiment in fact. We have read him the story about Caleb and he knows that he made a great choice and Our Caleb want to be like that Caleb and be a good person. As for his Middle name Calvin, well that is a family name. For those of you who don't already know this that is my Father's middle name. Caleb thinks it is so awesome to share a name with his Grandpa. (hopefully that is all they share, I don't think anybody wants to share the baldness. he he.)
Next is Hailey. Rob was the one that brought Hailey up. I just knew it was right. she doesn't share this name with anyone and she like s it that way. she love to sing-spell her name and loves that is is six letters long. Her middle name is the family name. We share that. Elizabeth. she says that because we share that name we are like twins. It is also fun because she has an Aunt Elizabeth and a cousin Emily Elizabeth. We are the four Elizabeth's I guess.
Ok Hailey has never met another Hailey spelled the same until this week in pre-school. there are now two Hailey's in her class.
Chloe. OK so when Rob and I watched Smallville we sorta fell in love with this name. I'm glad too cause it just is one of those names that really fit. Chloe loves her name and she loves her nickname of Coco. Chloe is very happy to share her middle name with Aunt Dusty. Michelle. she always tell us the Dusty and her like twins cause they have the same middle name.
When we were waiting for Chloe to arrive we never told anyone what her name would be and then when Dusty came to met the new baby that is when we told her that she was named after her. It was a big surprise for everyone.
With Edwin, I remember looking though family generation names online and then going to bed. I woke up in the night and thought to myself I love the name Edwin. I was sure I had read it and went back the next day to find it and I couldn't find it anywhere. so I don't know how it really came to me. Later I did find out there is an Edwin on the Owens side somewhere, so it is in fact a Family name. Edwin also shares Rob's middle name, William. William is a family name on both sides of our family that has been handed down form generation to generation.
Now it is time to start thinking about names again for this little baby. We find out on Thursday whether to start looking for a boy or girl name. We have sorta narrowed it down to these two names:
Boy~ Alfred
Girl~ Izabelle
So My big question for you.... what do you think?
and Yes, Izabel has to have a 'z' in it because then she can have one like me.
5 comments:
Great post!!! I love how you explain each name. We have always had our kids names picked out by the time we have an ultrasound. Then from that point on it is no longer "baby" but their names. (Even with the twins when we thought it was only one and the names were perfect a girl and a boy).
I enjoyed reading about your names. I love playing with names - even when we're not expecting. We almost named our little Vanna Chloe instead. I love that name but Ty was pulling hard for Vanna and since we didn't have her named until a couple days after she was born, at that point I was too worn out to fight it out. Luckily Vanna seems to fit. I like the names you're thinking of for baby #5. I've always loved the name Belle or Bella and Izabel is it's origin so I love that pick. Cant wait to find out what you're having!
I think whatever name you pick will be perfect for that child. Can't wait to hear what it's going to be!
What a fun post!! I might have to steal this idea sometime! (maybe soon?) It's fun to hear about your names. Good luck picking one for the next child!!!! Can't wait to hear if it's a boy or a girl!
Kylie and Philip don't share any part of their names, except their last name, of course-- are they still twins?? :)
Calvin is also Dad's uncle's name. Dad was named that because he was born on his birthday.
I totally thought I found an Edwin way way back somewhere too. Hmm. . .
Did you know Alfred was a family name too?
I agree-- she has to have the "Z" The only thing better would be a name with a "Q". :)
Great post!!
Post a Comment